We prepare and develop our operational strategy through constant and close interaction with communities, young people and rural farmers. In nearly ten years working in the field, learned several lessons we use to improve our approach and make our activities more effective.
Through interaction with the public benefited, We understand what are the most common and important challenges in the scenario so that they can start and develop their businesses and projects:
- they do not have appropriate tools and skills and essential, can not analyze the context and identify opportunities in the local scene and do not feel able to develop a project or a project for themselves; they feel no support in the field to implement changes in the practices and traditional ways of producing and acting them;
- even when they perceive an opportunity and come to organize a plan or project to take advantage of it, they do not have the conditions required by conventional banks and funds microfinance to take a loan and invest in deployment;
- to succeed to engage in such a hostile environment, farmers and young people need to work together, cooperate with each other and form networks and partnerships among themselves and with other entrepreneurs and organizations;
- to overcome the challenges to undertake in the semi-arid and communities that are, mostly, quite distant from each other and practically isolated in relation to communication and access, entrepreneurs need to complement traditional knowledge with modern tools and practices, environmental technologies and solutions that can contribute, from inventiveness and innovation, to help them develop techniques.
Based on these four major challenges, we build a strategy to address them, offering services to young people and rural farmers access to:
Thus, all activities of Adel represent strategic actions of these four areas of activity.
Our operating strategy is divided into two programs: one to work with farmers and other specifically with young. I ambos, Enable access to knowledge, credit, networks and technologies, with necessary adjustments for each audience.
Young Rural Entrepreneur
It creates opportunities for the development of rural enterprises by young entrepreneurs and with an integrated approach, It works with the entrepreneurial skills of youth.
Access to knowledge, oriented credit, networks and technologies, Adel operating strategy, so that young entrepreneurs have suitable and favorable conditions for its operation, They are enabled to youth through entrepreneurial training, Footpaths access to Fund, participation in the Network of Young Rural Entrepreneurs and access to information and communication technologies.
The Rural Solutions Program seeks to contribute to the local development of rural communities, from the cooperation between civil society actors and the integration of innovative and workable solutions in the various dimensions of development (social, economic, environmental and cultural).
This program increases the individual capacities (farmers) and collective (rural communities) so that solutions are created, optimized, contextualized and implemented in an integrated manner, networking and complementing each other, in support of local development in the communities served. This is equip local actors for development.
The coexistence solutions with semiarid conditions are identified in accordance with the demands, the opportunities and potential of communities served in the areas of: water resources, family farming and local governance.
In the area of water resources, Adel deploys solutions in communities to ensure the human right to water - both for human consumption, and as input in the production. Knowing how to use the available water resources is a core competency for the successful coexistence with environmental and economic reality of semiarid. Near 20% the Brazilian Northeast's population has no access to water.
In family farming area, structuring activities are developed supply chains and implementation of local clusters, based on the examination of economic vocations and traditional knowledge related to the local productive culture, to increase productivity and profitability in family farming.
In local governance area, organizational bodies are strengthened and collective structures are deployed, The main reference the experience of community revolving funds. Rural communities can not articulate their vocations and resources to, cooperatively, think of development strategies, based on the strengthening of human and social relations sites.
The farmers' access to knowledge, oriented credit, networks and technologies is promoted through training and technical assistance; of Community Revolving Funds, of Cooperative Networks and the use of environmental technologies.
Training and technical advisory
The Rural Solutions Program promotes training of farmers and technical assistance in the production and management of enterprises. Share new knowledge with farmers, such as: sustainable production techniques, associations, financial education, management, processing, marketing and value.
Community Revolving Fund
The Community Revolving Funds are implemented in order to enhance the productive capacity of a community from the activation of its capital. The Revolving Funds are more than instruments of economic induction. Are social protection mechanisms. They are the result of local governance capacity, to occur due to the collective decision-making and self-management regime. Each Fund has a management policy, It contained all the tools and rules for use and management of resources. Each farmer directly benefited by a social investment or donation undertakes to return, through payments, the amount received in benefits and services to a collective fund, which is managed and governed by community. Thus, all funds invested in some farmers in a community assume rotating condition, can be re-lent to new farmers from the same community in different and progressive cycles, giving greater scale their social impact. Normally, the Revolving Funds are administered by the community association.
Social and Environmental technologies
An important part of our work with farmers is helping them to learn and deploy, in the communities they live, environmental technologies of low cost, more high social impact. This is the case of the plate cisterns, that allow, to them, collect and store water in the rainy seasons to be able to consume during the dry season. Through this technology, the rainwater that falls on surfaces such as roofs and rocks are collected in gutters and stored in tanks to be consumed by households or used in production for irrigation and livestock. This is just one example of an environmental technology that helps local families to live with the challenges of semiarid.
Networks aim Cooperatives stimulate the formation of networks of productive groups of communities and territories around arrangements that optimize supply chains and expand the participation of farmers in their most profitable stages and are able to influence public and qualify public investment policies and private in large-scale programs to support family farming. The program mobilizes farmers, organizes and participates in forums and events to discuss and participatory construction of regional strategic plans, encouraging, advising and coordinating the intersectoral dialogue and to formulate actions and cooperative projects.
In thirteen years of operation, Adel developed many skills on promoting local development through training and supporting entrepreneurship in rural communities. The actions and initiatives carried out throughout the history of Adel share the building means to leverage and empower people and communities resilience situation. These skills were developed from direct interaction with youth and farmers and based entities, as community associations, cooperatives and other civil society organizations.
To fulfill its mission, Adel realized several projects in areas such as:
- water and food security;
- water resources management;
- family farming;
- structuring production chains and local clusters;
- socio-productive inclusion;
- rural microfinance;
- sustainable coexistence with the local biome and efficient use of natural resources, sustainably;
- dissemination and implementation of environmental technologies;
- preservation and environmental education;
- entrepreneurship education, for citizenship, for sustainability and development;
- rural service;
- multisectoral dialogues, involving companies, governments, social movements and civil society organizations and
- creation, planning and business management and projects in rural context.
These experiences have enabled Adel produce and acquire sufficient knowledge to support other actors of society in the realization of projects and services in these fields of activity. approaches have been attempted and developed by Adel and specific solutions to be effective results, that are shared with companies, governments and other organizations with an interest in positively impact on people, communities and the environment, in an ethic of sustainability.
Adel offers a range of services to companies, governments and other actors of civil society to collaborate with their own strategies to promote human development, incorporate or disseminate corporate sustainability practices or compensate, monitor and mitigate impacts derived from its operations.
There is still the possibility of these actors have an interest in enhancing the positive impacts that are already causing in society and the environment, engage your employees and their immediate communities.
Adel is always looking for partners to carry out projects and put into practice the knowledge and environmental technologies have learned and developed in communities and territories in Brazil and elsewhere in the world.
Among the services that can offer Adel, They are, in the areas of activity mentioned in the previous item:
- Consulting technical and managerial;
- Design and management of programs and projects;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Researches, and diagnostic studies;
- Articulation and coordination of partnerships;
- Training and network management;
- Implementation of water security systems, natural resource management and food security;
- Dissemination and implementation of environmental technologies;
- rural service;
- Training and consultancy.